WHO WE ARE
Welcome to the Silver City Surfers
We are a small, independent registered Scottish Charity, which been running for almost 15 years. We are supported by volunteers, a co-ordinator and are driven by the belief that older people can be enabled to navigate their way around technology, even at today’s fast pace.
With more and more businesses and organisations going completely digital, it’s important that you acquire new digital skills.
Here’s how we can help you
- If you are over 55 and live in Aberdeen, or you know someone who is , we are here for you.
- We provide free tutoring and support on all modern devices (e.g. laptops, iPads & other tablets, smartphones, digital cameras, etc) in one-to-one support sessions provided by experienced volunteers.
- For as long as COVID restrictions last, we can provide telephone support – just call us on 07799 371329 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Under normal (i.e. non-COVID) circumstances, we hold drop in sessions where you don’t need to book or contact us prior to visiting. You can attend as many or as few sessions as you wish.
- Through financial support from the Fairer Aberdeen Fund and the dedication of our volunteers, all our sessions are free.
- If you have your own device, bring it along – it’s best to learn on something you’re familiar with. If not, come to one of our sessions at the Citadel where a range of devices are available.
- We cater for everyone at all levels, from those who are unsure how to switch on a computer to tech savvy grandparents who just want to add to their skills. Look at our Essential Digital Skills pages for many ideas, but here are some for starters:
- Get started with a new device.
- Browse the Web.
- Get an email account and use it.
- Use Zoom, Skype etc to talk to friends and family.
- Shop on-line ….. and much, much more!
A friendly and welcoming atmosphere
We provide a friendly and supportive place where learners will meet our patient, experienced tutors in one-to-one sessions, based on what you need. We also provide hospitality – tea, coffee, biscuits and a blether are just as important as learning about new tech.