This project ran over two years and aimed to:
- Extend the services provided by Silver City Surfers to the wider community of over 65’s in two of Aberdeen’s regeneration areas with new and unique teams of volunteers.
- Develop a dedicated team of volunteers to provide Silver City Surfers’ services on a sessional basis for an agreed timeframe.
- Create a legacy within each location, leaving Silver City Surfers’ community champions to maintain links and further develop the service at each location.
Going Local worked with and set up local groups within three areas of the City of Aberdeen:
Sheddocksley Seaton Mastrick
Silver City Surfers exists to encourage and support the advancement of education in technology and the advancement of citizenship and community development for the benefit of older people in Aberdeen and North-East Scotland by:
- Providing opportunities for older people to try out technologies by making facilities available which are user-friendly
- Ensuring older people have access to learning opportunities to develop their knowledge and skills.
- Ensuring older people do not become isolated through lack of knowledge and understanding of technology.
- Working in partnership with other organisations to achieve these purposes.